- REAL ESTATE EDUCATION
- MEMBER SPOTLIGHT
- GIVING BACK
NYC’s Stand-Out Commercial Deals Battle for REBNY’s Most Ingenious Deal of the Year Award
March 2, 2016
-- Winners to be announced at the Sales Brokers Committee’s 72nd Annual Deal of the Year Cocktail Party on April 12 --
The vibrancy of New York City’s commercial real estate market, and the outstanding talent of the brokers who drive it, are evident in the diversity of strong submissions received by the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) for the 2015 Sales Brokers Most Ingenious Deal of the Year Award competition.
Top dealmakers submitted their best sales, lease and finance transactions completed in 2015 to join the spirited competition, which will culminate at the Sales Brokers Committee’s 72nd Annual Deal of the Year Cocktail Party to be held on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 from 5:30-7:30pm at Club 101 (101 Park Avenue).
“This year’s submissions exemplify the vast talent of the brokers in our industry,” said Woody Heller, chair of REBNY’s Sales Brokers Committee and Executive Managing Director, Group Head of the Capital Transactions Group at Savills Studley. “These complex and impactful transactions demonstrate the brokers’ highly creative and technical skills, as well as the dynamism of the real estate market throughout the boroughs.”
“The Most Ingenious Deal of the Year Award competition annually showcases the extensive efforts undertaken by leading real estate professionals to go above and beyond in their service to New York City’s owners, tenants, buyers and sellers,” said John H. Banks, III, REBNY President. “We look forward to announcing the winners and honoring all the candidates for their impressive achievements at the Sales Brokers Committee’s Deal of the Year Cocktail Party.”
The 16 sale, lease and finance transactions submitted for the 2015 competition are:
- “Persistence to a Record – The Saga of the ZARA Soho Flagship” – 503 Broadway, New York, NY
Broker: David E. Ash of Prince Realty Advisors LLC
- “MCNY’s “One of a Kind” South Bronx Campus Transaction – Charity Starts at Home” – 459 East 149th Street, Bronx, NY
Broker: Stephen Riker of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- “Calm (Success) In the Midst of the Storm” – 164 Eleventh Avenue, New York, NY
Broker: Drunell Levinson of Halstead Property LLC
- “Land Swap Between City of NY, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and Hunter College” – 525 East 73rd Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Justin DiMare, Mark Weiss and Howard Kesseler of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank
- “Creative Execution of Biblical Proportions: The Record Breaking Sale of 1865 Broadway” – 1865 Broadway, New York, NY
Broker: Helen Hwang of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- “The Power of Out-of-the-Box Thinking: Assured Guaranty’s Relocation” – 1633 Broadway, NY, NY / 31 West 52nd Street, New York, NY
Broker: Robert Martin, Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL)
- “A Slam Dunk: Moving the National Basketball Players Association to Midtown” – 1133 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY
Brokers: Arthur J. Mirante, II and Martin Cottingham of Avison Young
- “Gansevoort Market to Empire Outlets” – 55 Richmond Terrace, Staten Island, NY
Broker: Michael Brais of Douglas Elliman Commercial
- “The Church of Saint Luke in the Fields: Designing a Road Map for the Next 100 Years” – 487 Hudson Street, New York, NY
Broker: Paul G. Wolf of Denham Wolf Real Estate Services, Inc.
- “A Good Deed and a Great Deal: Landing a 21-Year Term and a Home for the New York Stem Cell Foundation – and for the Future of Medical Research” – 619 West 54th Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Stephen B. Siegel and Gary Kamenetsky of CBRE, Inc.
- “Conducting an Orchestra: Executing a Complicated Close” – 300 Vesey Street, Manhattan
Broker: Derek Trulson of Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL)
- “Selling the Dream: The Art of Place-Making at Manhattan West” – 400 West 33rd Street, New York, NY
Broker: Bruce Mosler of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- “Bringing MetLife Home” – 200 Park Avenue, New York, NY
Broker: Bruce Mosler of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- “An Affair to Remember | The Empire State Building Stays LinkedIn: How CBRE Inspired an Icon to Innovate for Technology’s Most Innovative Company” – 350 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
Brokers: Lauren Crowley Corrinet, Gregory Tosko and Sacha Zarba of CBRE, Inc.
- “387 Park Avenue South Permanent Financing” – 387 Park Avenue South, New York, NY
Brokers: Andrew J. Singer and Kathleen McSharry of The Singer & Bassuk Organization, LLC
- “EmblemHealth Building” – 101 Pennsylvania Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
Broker: Alan Goodkin, The Ackman-Ziff Real Estate Group LLC
Winners will be judged in the categories of sales, leasing and finance by a panel of industry leaders. The honors are presented to the dealmakers that demonstrate the most ingenuity, creativity and professional skill.
The Henry Hart Rice Award, which memorializes Henry Hart Rice, a Most Ingenious Deal of the Year Award winner and five-time Robert T. Lawrence Award recipient, will be presented to the first-place winner. The Robert T. Lawrence Award is the second place award and the Edward S. Gordon Award is the third place award.
Sponsors of the Sales Brokers Committee’s 72nd Annual Deal of the Year Cocktail Party include: Tishman Speyer, Eastern Consolidated, H.J. Kalikow & Co., LLC, Jack Resnick & Sons, Inc., Newmark Grubb Knight Frank, The Moinian Group, Vornado Realty Trust, Donald Zucker Co., and Rudin Management Co., Inc.