- REAL ESTATE EDUCATION
- GIVING BACK
NYC Retail All-Stars Join 19th Annual REBNY Deal of the Year Competition
May 17, 2017
Winning retail deals to be announced at June 13 cocktail party
New York City’s top retail leasing teams, duos, and soloists have submitted 14 outstanding transactions to compete in the Real Estate Board of New York’s (REBNY) 19th Annual Retail Deal of the Year Awards competition.
The winners of the awards, which recognize New York City’s most creative and significant retail deals, will be announced at the REBNY Retail Committee’s 19th Annual Retail Deal of the Year Cocktail Party on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Club 101 (101 Park Avenue). Sponsors of the cocktail party include: Cushman & Wakefield, Eastern Consolidated, Jack Resnick & Sons, Lee & Associates, Ripco Real Estate, Rose Associates, and The New York Times.
REBNY will recognize winners for the top two deals completed in 2016: the Most Ingenious Retail Deal of the Year that demonstrates exceptional broker acumen (ingenuity and creativity), and the Most Significant Retail Deal of the Year that recognizes the most significant retail deal in its overall characteristics and importance to the New York City retail market.
“The submissions for these coveted awards highlight the REBNY brokerage community’s high caliber ingenuity in transacting across the shifting retail landscape,” said Andrew Mandell, Managing Partner of Ripco Real Estate and Chair of REBNY’s Retail Committee. “Spanning from experiential and entertainment to food and fashion, these deals are a testament to our industry’s strength in adapting to serve the evolving needs, tastes, and preferences of consumers.”
“In spite of difficult national retail market conditions, the impact and importance of our members’ retail transactions are making a difference throughout New York City,” said REBNY President John Banks. “We look forward to recognizing their exceptional accomplishments and professional skill at our awards ceremony.”
The 14 retail deals submitted for the 2016 competition are:
– “That’s Immersive Entertainment: Bringing National Geographic to the New Showbiz Mecca of 44th Street” – 226 West 44th Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Lon Rubackin and Gary Trock of CBRE, Inc.
– “A Beautiful Deal on the Upper East Side” – 184 East 86th Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Patrick Breslin and Kenny Yip of Colliers International
– “Protecting this House – Under Armour at the General Motors Building” – 767 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
Brokers: David A. Green and Steven A. Soutendijk of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.; with Peter Whitenack and Robert Cohen of Robert K. Futterman & Associates, Inc.
– “From the Back of a Napkin to a Flagship: How Ice Cream Sundaes Brought Nike to 650 Fifth Avenue”
Broker: Joanne Podell of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
– “Finding the Endzone – How the NFL Connected with Cirque du Soleil for a Times Square Touchdown” – 701 Seventh Avenue a.k.a. 20 Times Square, New York, NY
Broker: Kenji R. Ota of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
– “An American Classic” The Lease of 39,614 Square Feet to American Girl at 75 Rockefeller Plaza
Brokers: Michael O’Neill, Gene Spiegelman, and Jason Greenstone of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
– “Crossing the Pond: The White Company Finds a Flagship in Flatiron” – 155 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
Brokers: Robin Abrams and Rebecca Olshan of The Lansco Corporation
– “The Making of a Neighborhood” – 625 West 57th Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Peter Braus, Brad Schwarz, JP Sutro, and Richard Kave of Lee & Associates NYC LLC
– “Luxury Movie Theaters and How They Can Save Bricks and Mortar Retail – Cinemax at First Ave & 62nd Street”
Brokers: Jeffrey D. Roseman and Marc Frankel of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank Retail
– “Target Moves at Lightening Speed to Anchor 500 East 14th Street: RKF as Agent for Extell Development Company and Ripco as Representative for Target Arrange a 27,000-Square-Foot Lease as East Village Retail Takes a Quantum Leap Forward”
Brokers: Brandon Eisenman, Robert K. Futterman, and Ariel Schuster of RKF; with Richard Skulnik and Peter Ripka of Ripco Real Estate Corp.
– “Meeting the Unmet Demand on the West Side: Target’s Groundbreaking 29,000-Square-Foot Lease Arranged by RKF as the Agent for XIN Development and Ripco as the Representative for Target” – 615 Tenth Avenue, New York, NY
Brokers: Brandon Eisenman of RKF; with Richard Skulnik and Peter Ripka of Ripco Real Estate Corp.
– “Whole Foods Market at One Wall Street: A Love Story Arranged by RKF as Agent for Macklowe Properties and The Shopping Center Group as Representative for Whole Foods”
Brokers: Peter Whitenack and Robert K. Futterman of RKF; with Chase Welles and Jacqueline Klinger of The Shopping Center Group
– “Gap and Old Navy Drop Anchor in Times Square Striking Leases for a Combined 81,000 Square Feet at 1514 Broadway”
Broker: Ariel Schuster of RKF
– “Something’s Roasting in the Meatpacking District” – 61 Ninth Avenue, New York, NY
Brokers: David Firestein of SCG Retail/The Shopping Center Group; with Jared Epstein of Aurora Capital Associates
Registration is required to attend the 19th Annual Retail Deal of the Year Cocktail Party. Register now.