- John Banks | REBNY President
- William C. Rudin | REBNY Chairperson
- Code of Ethics
- REBNY Residential Listing Service
- Become a Member
- Benefits & Rewards
- REBNY Action Network
- REBNY Services
- Our History
- Contact Us
- Looking for a NYC real estate broker?
- Contests & Awards
- Sponsorship Opportunities
- REAL ESTATE EDUCATION
- MEMBER SPOTLIGHT
- GIVING BACK
CRE Dealmakers Join the Race for REBNY’s Ingenious Deal of the Year Awards
March 1, 2017
73rd annual competition recognizing technical skill, creativity, and innovation among NYC commercial real estate professionals will culminate at cocktail party on April 4th
The 2016 Sales Brokers Most Ingenious Deal of the Year Awards competition, presented by the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY), is off to a running start for this spring. Dealmakers have submitted their best commercial real estate sales, lease, and finance transactions completed in 2016 for a chance to win the coveted honors.
The first-, second-, and third-place winners will be announced at the Sales Brokers Committee’s 73rd Annual Cocktail Party to be held on Tuesday, April 4th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Club 101 (101 Park Avenue). Sponsors for the event include: Donald Zucker Company, Eastern Consolidated, Lion’s Property Development Group LLC, Jack Resnick & Sons, H.J. Kalikow & Co., LLC, Newmark Grubb Knight Frank, Rudin Management Company, and the Wall Street Journal.
“This annual competition highlights the intricacies of commercial real estate negotiations that are navigated with ingenuity, professionalism, and fortitude by REBNY members,” said Woody Heller, chair of REBNY’s Sales Brokers Committee and Executive Managing Director, Group Head of the Capital Transactions Group at Savills Studley. “These skills are necessary for achieving agreements that benefit not only the parties involved, but also the communities surrounding them.”
“Our members are part of the backbone of New York City’s economy whose service extends beyond transactional value to impact the growth and missions of the businesses they serve,” said John Banks, REBNY President. “Our Ingenious Deal of the Year Awards serve as a platform for pulling back the complex layers in commercial real estate deal-making and highlighting the efforts taken to orchestrate a successful, far-reaching deal.”
The 15 sale, lease, and finance transactions submitted for the 2016 competition are:
- “Going Out of Business Sale: The Disposition of Lee’s Art Shop on West 57th” – 220 West 57th Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Amit Doshi and Lynda Blumberg of Besen & Associates
- “The Remaking of America: Helping Re-Endow the Nation’s Oldest Catholic Media Company” – 106 West 56th Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Stuart A. Eisenkraft, Daniel S. Kaplan, Edward (Ned) E. Midgley, and Timothy E. Sheehan of CBRE, Inc.
- “Repositioning Real Estate or Reimaging the Promise Land? How Savills Studley Helped Jewish Theological Seminary Transform its Campus for the 21st Century” – 543 West 122nd Street; 3060 Broadway; 415 West 120th Street, New York, NY
Brokers: David Carlos and Ira Schuman of Savills Studley, Inc.
- Bringing the Galaxy to Flatiron” – 162 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY
Broker: Peter Hennessy of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- “Real Estate Industry Creates New Wave of Charter Schools” – 192 East 151st Street, Bronx, NY
Broker: Andrew Stein of Vicus Partners LLC
- “If You Can Make it Here: Securing a New York Headquarters for Intercept Pharmaceuticals at 55 Hudson Yards” – New York, NY
Broker: Paul Ippolito of Newmark Grubb Knight Frank
- “The Calm During the Storm: The 1MSF Renewal of S&P Global at 55 Water Street” – New York, NY
Brokers: Paul Myers and Ken Meyerson of CBRE, Inc.
- “Lighthouse Guild International: Guiding a Nonprofit Through a Sea of Intricacies—and Idiosyncrasies—to Land a New Home” – 80 West End Avenue, New York, NY
Brokers: Brian D. Gell and Laurence P. Briody, Jr. of CBRE, Inc.
- “A Hat Trick for the NHL: New Headquarters, Experiential Retail and a Hockey Rink at Manhattan West” – 1 Manhattan West, New York, NY
Brokers: Michael R. Laginestra and Michael Geoghegan of CBRE, Inc.
- “Southern Hospitality, New York Style: Putting Atlanta-based Columbia Property Trust on the Map with a True New York Institution – New York University” – 222 East 41st Street, New York, NY
Brokers: Paul J. Amrich, Neil V. King, and James Ackerson of CBRE, Inc.
- “A Home Run for MLB: A Transformational Deal that Brings a League Together, Ignites an Asset, and Ushers Both into the Millennial Era” – 1271 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY
Brokers: Scott Gottlieb and Ken Meyerson of CBRE, Inc.
- “Penguin Random House’s 50 Shades of the Billion Dollar Deal” – 1745 Broadway, New York, NY
Brokers: Richard Bernstein, Adam Ardise, and Jared Thal of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- “It Takes Two” – 1133 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY
Broker: David Rosenbloom of Cushman & Wakefield, Inc.
- “It’s Not Just a Job, It’s an Adventure” – Brooklyn Navy Yard, Brooklyn, NY
Brokers: Scott A. Singer and Kathleen McSharry of The Singer & Bassuk Organization LLC
- “The Financing of 2 Washington Street: A Miracle in Manhattan” – New York, NY
Brokers: Shawn Rosenthal and Gerry Miovski of CBRE, Inc.