- REAL ESTATE EDUCATION
- GIVING BACK
Federal Stimulus Resources
The most recent federal stimulus package known as the CARES Act includes several provisions that impact the real estate community, including real estate agents and brokers; building owners and managers; and commercial and residential tenants.
On this page, you will find resources including:
- Programs for Independent Contractors (Brokers)
- Programs for Small Businesses (Owners, Managers)
- Programs for Commercial Tenants (Restaurant and Retail)
- Programs for Residential Tenants and Owners (Renters)
With the passage of the federal stimulus package, REBNY has compiled relevant information related to unemployment insurance benefits for independent contractors, including many of our REBNY members and real estate community.
Please visit our Unemployment Insurance Benefits page for more information on available unemployment benefits and how to navigate the unemployment insurance process.
REBNY Resources for independent contractors related to unemployment benefits and programs through the CARES Act include:
REBNY Resources: Unemployment Insurance Claims Application Checklist for Independent Contractors During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Crisis (PDF). This checklist does not apply to traditional W2 employees.
Starting April 10, 2020, sole proprietors, independent contractors and eligible self-employed individuals are able to apply with participating lenders for the Paycheck Protection Program, a U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) 7a small business loan. For more information, download REBNY Resources: Paycheck Protection Program for Independent Contractors During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Crisis.
There are several programs included in the CARES Act available to small businesses in the wake of the Coronavirus crisis. Available programs include:
- Paycheck Protection Program
- Main Street Program
- Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility (TALF)
Please visit our Small Business Programs page for more information on these various programs and how to apply for lending support as a small business.
REBNY Resources for owners and managers related to lending support programs through the CARES Act include:
The CARES Act includes lending and tax support programs available to commercial tenants during the Coronavirus crisis. These programs include:
- Paycheck Protection Program: As of March 31, the U.S. Department of the Treasury released new information about the Paycheck Protection Program for eligible small businesses, non-profits and independent contractors. For more information about this program and to learn how to apply, please visit:
- Loan Program and Credit Facility to Support Impacted Industries
- Expanded FDIC Authority
- Temporary Relief from Troubled Debt Restructurings
- Bankruptcy Changes
- Employee Retention Credit for Employers Subject to Closure Due to COVID-19
Please download REBNY Resources: Business Guide to the Federal Stimulus for Commercial Tenants During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Crisis (PDF) for more information.
This stimulus package also includes several provisions to support housing for both residential owners and tenants including:
- Forbearance of residential mortgage loan payments for multifamily properties with federally backed loans.
- Foreclosure moratorium and consumer right to request forbearance.
- Temporary moratorium on eviction filings.
For details on each of these provisions, download REBNY Resources: An Overview of the Federal Stimulus for the Real Estate Industry During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Crisis or read the CARES Act here.